12.01.2009

Family Talk

On Saturday at my little cousins birthday party I brought up the topic about Discipline to my aunts. I told them about the book I am reading and that I wanted to hear their thoughts about it. They said that a to never beat your kid, that its not the way to go. That some kids get so use to it that after a while it stops hurting them, and start hurting your hand. But sometimes kids to need a little tap on their bottoms or if they were to say bad words a slap on the mouth. But not hard or have it be an everyday thing. They also explained to me how its not good to just say "NO" to a kid. I mean you can say no, but you have to have a reason for it. Then my cousin's grandma started saying how back then they use to discipline kids way different. That even at school the teachers had permission to hit the students with the rulers. I remember when I was little my parents would throw us in a cold shower when we threw a tantrum. And when my grandma would be cooking, and we went and started grabbing food she was making, then ran off, she would throw what ever she first saw at us. And you cant forget bout getting hit with the shoe or the belt. My mom would have to chase us around with the belt, shoe or even wooden spoon all over the house. I use to hate going to church, especially with my grandma. I swear she would pay more attention to us then to the mass. I would sit as far away from her as i could and still feel her eyes watching me, then if I did one little thing wrong she would reach across and pinch us, In church. But like my cousin's grandma said, kids are being disciplined way different now and days.

No comments:

Post a Comment